Pneumatic And Hydraulic Equipment Page 6

The History of the John Henry Foster Company John Henry Foster was born in Rhode Island in 1905. He had little formal education, but he had business intuition. John Henry was interested in people. He believed in people, he trusted people, and he surrounded himself with capable people. In 1928, John Henry started his career as a manufacturer's representative for Norgren, Hansen, Mead and Vise-Grip. He was the first Vise-Grip salesman, and claimed that he "put Vise-Grip on the map." In 1942, John Henry opened his first fluid power equipment distributorship in Minnesota. Two years later, he appointed a general manager, and moved to St. Louis to open a second distributorship on North Grand, across from Fairgrounds Park. In 1946, he founded Foster Manufacturing Company in Springfield, Missouri, to manufacture quick disconnect couplings. John Henry claimed to have developed "the first interchangeable coupling." In the mid 1950s, the John Henry Foster Company outgrew its facilities and moved to 2850 Gravois. At that time, there were six employees. John Henry's philosophy of "You can't sell from an empty wagon" forced the company to move once again in 1974 to 10740 Midwest Industrial Boulevard. The company operated there for 17 years. In 1983, at age 76, John Henry felt it was time to pass on the ownership. He sold the St. Louis distributorship to the General Manager and his wife, Bob and Kathy Gau. At that time, there were approximately 50 employees. In 1984, an Employee Stock Ownership Plan was established at John Henry Foster Company. This was done to provide a meaningful employee incentive and to make all employees part owners in the company, at no cost to them. In 1986, Mr. Foster died. His legacy lives on in St. Louis and Springfield, Missouri through the relationships he developed with numerous charities, especially the Kilo Foundation. In 1991, John Henry Foster Company moved to our current facility at 4700 LeBourget, which consists of a 65,000 sq. ft. (now 100,000 sq. ft.) facility on 7 acres, 90 employees (now 132), and $5.5 million (now $8 million) in inventory. In 2001, John Henry Foster Company exceeded $35 million (now 58M) in sales; became ISO 9001 certified (now ISO9001:2008); was 40% (now 59%) employee-owned; and began doing e-commerce. We are confident that we will be able to continue to delight our customers with quality service because of our quality products and our quality people. Mr. John Henry Foster at his desk circa 1950 Original North Grand location circa 1950 Serving and Growing since 1944 Today, the John Henry Foster Company is the largest stocking distributor of hydraulic and pneumatic equipment in the Midwest. Back then, John Henry Foster drove his air s tream trailer around the Midwest selling pneumatic equipment to industrial customers. (314) 427-0600 800-444-0522 (FAX) 314-427-3502 www. j hf.com JHF Catalog [ Volume 7 ] 6 Prices Subject to Change Without Notice John Henry Foster pneumatic and hydraulic equipment

Previous Page
Next Page